4.23.2009

Waiting.


Today was my first day at the homeless boys shelter. Things at the orphanages have been good, but it was really nice to have more of a playing interaction with kids. They didnt have much at their home but we played lego and marbles. Its about 16 boys age 8-18 who all live in a house together. In the morning some go to school or work and in the afternoon its more kids and they sometimes go to the pool or play soccer. The boys were very sweet.

I go to one of three orphanages in the morning and another in the afternoon which is good, always switching up the schedule. The kids dont get a lot of interaction besides the volunteers. A lot of them can't even walk so you just take them out of bed and lay them on the floor. Just rubbing their back can bring the hugest smile to their face. Its beautiful.

My favorite boy is at the monk run orphanage. Its a little dirtier there, and they only get fed twice a day. But this boy is almost completely blind. He can see enough to get around. One nurse told me his name but i didnt really understand, she said it means small dog. Then she barked at him. So I just call him Buddy. He's probably about 4 or 5. He keeps to himself, when i spin him around he laughs and yells yay!! Today i took him for a piggyback ride outside the orphanage and he said hello about 50 times, which was cute cause I didnt teach him that. When I push him on the swing, every once in awhie he'll reach out to make sure I'm still there. Today when I left him, he obviously didnt understand goodbye. But I looked back at him on the swing and saw him reach out and realize I wasnt there anymore. It broke my heart.

No comments: